an explannation of the title

My photo
I follow Jesus the Christ. The Bible frequently refers to men doing, "what seemed right in their own eyes", my prayer is that I do what is right in HIS eyes... whether or not it "seems" right to me.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

all wRAPped up and nowhere to go


~ One of my favorite fairy tales from my childhood is Rapunzel.  It's a well known story that is currently being retold in the animated feature do to be released on blue-ray and DVD any day now, "Tangled".  My fondest memories of the story were illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.
~ "Reader's Digest Version Erin."  Yes, yes.  The reason for my reverie...
~ I've been thinking about this story frequently of late.  The beginning of the story specifically.  Many people don't know how Rapunzel came to be locked in a tall tower, shut off from the world.  [the premiss in Tangled though cute is quite a strech from the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale]
~ Let me 'splain [pause] No, there is too much.  Let me sum up...
~ While Rapunzel's mother was pregnant she spent a lot of time... she spent a lot of time.  The cottage where her parents lived had a window that looked out over a witches garden.  In that garden was a particular pretty green veggie(rampion/rapunzel) and she longed for a taste.
"The desire grew day by day, and ( just because she knew she couldn't possibly get any), she pined away and became quite pale and wretched."  Just think about this for a moment.  Now, click on the links.


She pined away after something that didn't belong to her to the point of making herself SICK, even to the point of putting her unborn child at risk!  How ridiculous!?!?!?!!

(pause)

In the movie Sabrina, the heroin's mentor is sharing wisdom with her and warns that illusions can be very dangerous.  Because they have no flaws.  Because we can't see them.

How often does my ABBA give me good gifts only for me to pine away after something trivial even before the gift has fully grown and been birthed?!?!?!?!  

So, Dad jumped in and got stole some pretty green veggies for Mom but when the witch caught him steeling the pretty green veggies she bargained with him.  His and his wife's lives for the life of his unborn child.  The rest you know.  This precious child that God had entrusted to this mother was used as payment for pretty green vegetables!?!?!?!

I don't want my gift wRAPped up and locked in a tower where I can no longer access it.  I can live without pretty green veggies.

What has ABBA given you?
What are you pining for?
What are you putting at risk of death?
What are you willing to give up for your pretty green veggies?
Is it really worth it?

2 comments:

  1. Cool connection between the story & The Truth.
    (plus, we just watched Tangled last night.. .I loved it...and now your blog makes me wanna read the real story again.
    It's been so long I don't think I actually remember many details.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honored to have you here Netta!

    I thoroughly enjoyed Tangled myself! Saw it at the cheap show with some fabulous sister/friends :)

    I'll have to bring over Trina's illustrations for you some time... they're BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete